Okon Uwah’s Murder: It Would Have Been Disgraceful Not To Deliver My Ward To PDP – Suspect


Mr. Effiom Abai, one of the alleged suspects in the murder of former Deputy Speaker of Akwa Ibom House of Assembly, Obong Okon Uwah, yesterday told an Uyo High Court 9 presided over by Justice Okon Okon that as the highest political office holder in his ward 3, Ukanafun local government area, it would have been a disgrace for him not to deliver his ward to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the state.

Answering question during cross examination by the prosecuting counsel, Abai who was the vice chairman of the council as at the time of the incident, said that as the leader of the ward, it was necessary that he deliver his ward to his party, PDP.

He, however, noted that he would not have felt embarrassed if his party had lost the ward in the general election.

Abai, when asked why he mobilized some people to the village on the day that obong Uwah was killed, he told the court that he did the mobilization for the distribution of permanent voters’ card, PVC.

The accused, who is DWI in the murder case, denied making call directing one Akaninyene Peter Abai, fourth accused person (DW4) not to allow late Obong okon Uwah and leave Nkek, and knowledge of cell phone conversation to the DW4. He was however to confronted with the voice recorder on his phone when it was played before the court. He admitted that the voice was his own.

The case has been adjourned to February 9, 13 and 14, 2017 for continuation of cross examination by the prosecuting counsel.

In a related development, three other accused persons, Usen Peter Udo (Udo Ibanga Ikpa), Ubong Monday Umoh (Udo Nkoko), and Imoh Mark Afia, arraigned recently in connection with the Okon Uwah’s murder were also in court yesterday even as PWI in the matter, Mr. Gideon Udokoh has began his testimony before the court on what happened on the day that former deputy speaker was killed.

It would be recalled that the three persons were arraigned differently from the four that are already standing

The case has been adjourned to February 17, 23 and 27, 2017 to enable PWI continue with his testimony.